Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Manchester City - Nil, Pikey - Won

Quiet few weeks for me bar the odd day at Kilnsey as I've been trying to shake a finger injury - properly beasted it this weekend and it held out though, so think I'm outta the woods.

Saturday was a 6am start from home to get to Manchester for the opening of the new Rockover climbing centre and their inaugural comp.  Cool wall, like a bigger version of ClimbNewcastle in an  equally dodgy neighbourhood.

The big battle of the day was with the temps, must have been 35 degrees in there - absolutely draining! Qualifiers went pretty poorly, dropping a few things I just shouldn't have so was pretty disappointed with it. Thankfully, I got into the final in 3rd place and by the time the finals had come round a small amount of energy had returned. Strategy for the final: "Flash everything chum, 'cos you don't have enough in you for any more go's!!"

After nearly making a balls of the 1st problem and narrowly getting the flash, numbers 2, 3 and 4 went down ok. The pressure was really on for number 5 as I knew that if I flashed it, top spot was probably mine....
The flash was not to be however and after missing a sequence, a few attempts led to touching the final hold. The ensuing fall however, left me wondering had I broken my arm - lovely crack as I landed, probably the worst fall I've had indoors. All I could do now was sit and wait for Gaz to finish.

Gaz flashed to the same point as me but didn't manage to latch the top hold either and with his slip on an earlier problem, 1st place and the massive cheque was mine! Still can't believe it. Being unable to move my head this morning due to the whiplash I gave myself is making it a bit more real however.

All in all, really class day - the British team are a properly sound bunch and am really looking forward to doing a bit more with them. Thanks also to Tom/Rockover climbing wall for a really good comp - brave people hosting that on your very first day open.